One of the major guidelines this cheat sheet pack was made under was to avoid digressing into vocabulary lists; that’s what dictionaries are for. However, single words can have many different uses and various expressions they can be appear in. There are also many words that are semi-grammatical in nature (such as conjunctions). And then there are set phrases, which take simple words and give them strange new meanings. Indeed, vocabulary isn’t as clear a topic as we would like it to be.
The Beyond Vocabulary cheat sheet tackles the “gray area” between single words and words within sentences, and also is a collection of the most useful and functional words in the language. It offers the most complete list of conjunctions, set phrases, and idiomatic expressions you’ll find on a single sheet of paper.
This sheet is the most straightforward of the set, containing basically a collection of lists for learners to memorize. Learners of all levels will quickly gain a big communication power boost from this sheet, although it’s not likely to be referred back to as often as the other sheets in the pack.
- Lots of conjunctions
- Useful adverbs
- Sentence-leaders (expressions like ところで = by the way)
- Common set phrases and idiomatic expressions
- “Cue” words (words that hint at what follows)
- Essential 4-character compounds (四字熟語)
- Various expressions based on 気 and 何
- Expressions referencing body parts
- Words typically used in negative sentence forms
- Special sections on two confusing expressions: いい加減 and さすが